26 July 2017
Emir of State of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, the Deputy Emir of State of Qatar Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad al-Thani and Prime Minister and Interior Minister of State of Qatar, Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa al-Thani sent cables of congratulations to Ram Nath Kovind on his election and swearing in as President of India.
A brief of 72 years old Ram Nath Kovind, newly elected President of India
1) Ram Nath Kovind, a Dalit, is a farmer’s son and in known for his humble origins and simple lifestyle.
2) Born on October 1, 1945, in Kanpur Dehat, Ram Nath Kovind is a commerce graduate. He pursued law from Kanpur University.
3) He practiced in the Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for more than 15 years.
4) He is married to Savita Kovind and has a son and a daughter.
5) He is the former president of BJP Dalit Morcha. He has also served as the BJP’s national spokesperson.
6) He was also a two-time Rajya Sabha member from the state of Uttar Pradesh between 1994-2000 and 2000-06.
7) Ram Nath Kovind had worked as a top aide to former Prime Minister Morarji Desai and has represented India at the United Nations in New York.
8) He has also been a member of several Parliamentary Committees, including the committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Social Justice and Empowerment, and Law and Justice.
9) He was appointed as the Governor of Bihar by the Centre three years ago. The septuagenarian became the 36th Governor of Bihar in August 2015. His appointment had surprised many state leaders and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had voiced his displeasure over not being consulted. Though, during his term in Bihar, Governor Kovind hadn’t run into no controversy with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
10) He is second Dalit President after KR Narayanan to hold the India’s highest office.